The purpose of starting this group is to gather and engage local artists in networking and to promote the arts in the Fox Cities Area. Though there are some great things happening in the Arts out there like the Trout Museum, the PAC, the Oshkosh Gallery Walk, etc, we feel as if the arts don’t have enough visibility in the community. We would like to change that.
Fox Cities Artists would like to stress that this is a group by artists and for artists. We don’t want to get “too big for our britches” and focus our efforts and time on activities and endeavors that suit our members and our purpose best without taking up an excessive amount of your time. We realize that you all have your own personal lives, jobs, families, and other obligations. We will strive to keep our agenda and the amount of activities and responsibilities we take on manageable and reasonable, so that no member feels as if what began as a fun commitment begins to feel like “work”. Fox Cities Artists should be a networking and social club first and foremost meant to serve artists and assist in their professional development. We would like to start off small and build and grow as we deem necessary and within our capabilities.
Group activities we have discussed include:
- Group trips to local and regional events such as Gallery Openings, Gallery Walks, museum exhibitions, art fairs, etc.
- Organizing and putting on biannual or quarterly group shows for member artists
- Group critique sessions
- Group “studio nights” where we gather and work on our own individual artwork in a group setting.
- Social gatherings at local coffee houses, restaurants, and bars.
Our Mission Statement:
To strengthen and support a lively visual arts presence in the Fox Cities Area and expose the community at large to the Visual Arts.
We exist to:
- Create networking opportunities and increase fellowship between local artists.
- Encourage and assist our fellow artists in their professional development.
- Identify and create opportunities for the exhibition of art in the Fox Cities Area.
New Member Acceptance Policy:
In the spirit of getting this group launched FCA feels that there should be no jurying process for joining the Fox Cities Artists. However there will be a process for jurying entries that art submitted to group shows to insure that FCA is representing our talents well.
Fox Cities Artists feels strongly that “original art” should be a requirement of this group, and that art which leans to heavily towards “craft” should not be considered. It should be evident that a creative and artistic process is inherent in the creation of the work. Artwork like jewelry making, pottery, glass work, etc. is certainly welcome but should be primarily hand made, and not from a kit. We want to focus our efforts on promoting original fine art.
Artists who work with the following Visual Art mediums are welcome to join:
Fox Cities Artist would like to define the geographic area for its membership to include Appleton, Oshkosh, Fon du lac, and the surrounding suburbs and smaller towns.
Student Members are also welcome to join Fox Cities Artists.
Membership Dues and Management of Group Funds:
An annual Membership Fee of $10 will be collected at this time but Fox Cities Artists may revisit the cost of dues at a later date in the future should the scope of our group require higher operating costs (such as expenses for holding events, advertising and promotion, etc)
The only proposed group expense at this time will likely be the creation and hosting of a upgraded website with a dedicated url (more on that below). Paying your initial annual dues will make you a “card carrying member” and you will be added to the website officially.
Any additional funds can be used as determined by the group for purposes such as advertising (for events), food or drinks at meetings, etc.
Fox Cities Artists would like to establish a group treasurer and create a bank account for the group for any additional funds to be held in.
Fox Cities Artists would like to establish the following positions of leadership:
Once we have our initial membership roster formed we should then take nominations for positions, and then vote on each position. Each position will have a term of one year. Specific duties of these positions will be further discussed and voted upon. There does not necessarily need to be someone running against a position for it to be filled either. If no one runs for the position then the sole nominee will be appointed.
We feel strongly that getting a web presence established is important. We live in a digital age and readily accessible information is key to getting the word out about what you are doing. Fortunately www.foxcitiesartists.com is available! While the page you are reading now is a start, we feel it is more advantageous to have a website with a dedicated url and more customization capabilities then this blog can offer. We would like this website to feature the following:
- A list of Fox Cities Artists members that includes, name, artistic medium, contact info, and a link to personal facebook pages, websites, or photo albums such as flickr and a single artwork image. While we would like to expand this to include a gallery of images for artists in the future, we think an important first step is simply getting a list of artists up.
- A list of art galleries, organizations, and “Art Friendly” coffee houses, restaurants, businesses, and other venues that are recommended in approaching to display artwork.
- An events Calendar for local and regional art showings. We would like this to include solo shows, group shows, museum exhibits, and any art related event taking place in the Fox Cities Area.
Hosting fees for a year (if paid upfront) come out to $98 through godaddy.com’s word press hosting services. In order to cover this cost FCA would like to establish a $10 annual dues fee, primarily to cover the website hosting cost. And to make it simple, once you contribute your $10 you will be added to the website.
Please Note: This is a rough draft of the proposed group By Laws which will be reviewed and voted upon during our upcoming meetings in Nov. and Dec.